Thursday, June 17, 2010

Snow White and Rose Red

So the main point of this blog is to let me talk about and update about Visual Novels I may be working on to keep my interest up on them.

So what am I doing for my first ever visual novel? Well I'm an idiot and I have set myself a lofty goal of writing a 60-80 (still debating) day GxB Visual Novel with 32 Endings and 2 points of view. Yes, I know, I'm absolutely crazy. What can I say, I picked it for a summer project and for the last week and a half I've been working nonstop on it.

So what is the plot of this VN?

In a nutshell it is an adaptation of Grimm's Snow White and Rose Red, one of my favourite fairytales. It is adapted in the style of Shannon Hale's Goose Girl (you take a fairytale and then you fill it out and answer all the questions raised into why some character did one thing or another thing).

The fairytale is the tale of two sisters with an incredible bond who live in the woods with their widowed mother. They are goodly sisters by nature. In the winter they give home to a bear and then spring comes and the bear must leave, saying he must guard his treasure against a dwarf who would steal it. The two sisters then encounter the dwarf in mortal danger several times and help him.

The ending I won't spoil (If I can).

My adaptation gives both the girls and their mother gifts that they are born with (Snow White for instance has the gift of Communication and can thus speak with animals). I change the character of the dwarf to a goblin like man who is quite pretty and then I also add one more character so there are 3 "winnable" characters. You can also play through as Snow White or as Rose Red and due to the nature of their gifts and the nature of their very different personalities, these different point of views will tell the story in a completely different manner.

So How far am I on this lofty idea?

All six characters have been designed, though no sprites have been drawn.

The Plot is 1/3 Complete. All parts of adaptation have been adapted. I only have to create the original parts of the plots such as the events for the paths (There's at least four events for each winnable. Then I have to specifically plot out the 32 endings (some will be very similar with only slight differences in them so this is not as hard to do as it seems by numbers).

Once it's completely plotted out and I have both Snow White's and Rose Red's sprite sets done I will be looking to recruit a programmer, editor/co-writer for all the script and if I'm lucky a background artist (if not well then I get to do those too) The thing I'm worried about most, however is the amount of CGs I will have to draw (due to the amount of endings) I guess I can only just cross my fingers that it's easier than I think. Anyway... the practice will be impossibly good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment